Matheson

Matheson Ontario

Matheson, ON, Canada

Black River-Matheson is a township in the Cochrane District of the Canadian province of Ontario. The municipality is astride the Black River, for which it is partly named. The Matheson railway station was serviced by the Northlander until 2012.

Matheson was first known as McDougall’s Chute after an early trapper. Renamed for Arthur J. Matheson (1842-1913), provincial Treasurer and M.P.P. for South Lanark. Became part of Timmins on January 1, 1973.

Mining, forestry and farming are some of the principal industries in the area, augmented by outdoor tourism in the summer, such as fishing and hunting. There are three elementary schools within the municipality.

Prospecting started in 1909. The Croesus Mine (1914-1918) became “one of the richest mines in Canada,” according to Barnes. Gold was like “plums in pudding” and “one gold nugget was egg shaped, two inches long and one and a quarter across.” A total of 16 companies operated in the Harker Holloway area from 1917 to 1925, including Harker Gold Mines. P.A. McDermott found a gold-bearing zone in 1922, which became American Barrick’s Holt-McDermott Mine in 1988. Located in the Abitibi greenstone belt, the mine produced 60,000 ounces of gold in 1994.