Cochrane, ON, Canada
Before Cochrane was founded, it was used as a summer camping ground by indigenous people, and a stopping place for fur traders travelling to Moose Factory.
In the early 20th century, the National Transcontinental Railway was built through the area, and in 1907, the place was selected as the junction point with the Temiskaming and Northern Ontario Railway. In November 1908, the lots were sold by auction and a railway town formed.
It was incorporated on January 1, 1910, and named for politician and merchant Frank Cochrane, a former mayor of Sudbury and the Minister of Lands, Forests and Mines in the provincial government from 1905 to 1911, then Minister of Railways from 1911 to 1919.
The settlement was devastated by fire in 1910, 1911, and 1916, but rebuilt each time and became a transportation hub for northern Ontario.